Photobucket

Monday, April 12, 2010

Should I Buy Medical Insurance




medical care

Should I buy medical insurance when I’m already covered by my  employer? This is a common question I get and I understand why you might  ask it.

There are 2 things on your mind. First, should I pay my own money for  something I might not need until I retire and secondly, should I depend  on the company cover? These are 2 main consideration.

Working as an employee have its good points and one of the perks is  that you get group medical insurance. Employers provides such cover to  retain staff, to attract talent and to avoid paying medical bills out of  their own pocket.

Even so, I firmly recommend my customers to have some form of  individual medical insurance because:-
       
  • employers can and will change the medical insurance benefits they  give to you. Normally it is done without your knowledge until you need  to make a claim
  •    
  • insurance companies change their terms (the fine print) without you  or even your employers knowledge
  •    
  • your past medical history automatically excludes you. In big  organizations, you don’t even fill up any form. Unless your company is  buying a big policy on you (usually for top management staff only). At  the point of making a claim, some insurance will point to a pre-existing  illness and you can’t make any claim
  •    
  • your employer or your spouse’s stops offering insurance for you or  your family
  •    
  • you might suffer a critical illness like cancer or stroke, and the  amount provided by your employer is not sufficient

Having you own medical insurance means you are in control and have a  backup cover. Besides that, here are some situations which you might end  up needing to seek affordable individual medical insurance:
       
  • you lose (or quit) your job
  •    
  • you have insurance through your spouse, and they lose or quit their  job
  •    
  • you change jobs, and your new employer has a waiting period before  you become eligible for coverage
  •    
  • you decided to retire early

These are some reason you should think about when you ask yourself  “Should I buy medical insurance”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket